Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Part 1; Chapter 4

A burning liquid forced its way into Ervyn’s mouth.

Sputtering, he opened his eyes. Concerned Elven faces leaned over him. The back of his head felt as if it’d been smashed by a rock.

“What happened, and what am I doing on the floor?”

His lifelong friend, Ataras, held the flask of wine. His lean face leaned over him frowned-abnormally grave; his piercing blue eyes -troubled. “Don’t you remember? You picked a fight with the king. He shoved you into the wall and ran out. We’re a bit upset with you, starting a fight with the king of all people. But,” He glances around at the rest of the traders, “we all think you were in the right.”

“Well that’s a relief, anyway. Now, help me up.” Grabbed around his arms, he was pulled to his feet. The ache in his head doubled, and Ataras quickly shoved the flask up to Ervyn’s pale face once more.

“Thanks,” he replied weakly, holding his head. “Well now what are we supposed to do? Go back to our supper and wait until King Cestan’s temper improves?”

Ataras spoke up again. “I’m sure the princess will be able to handle him from what the king let slip. He sounded like was getting back at the princess for something. She must be capable.”

Ervyn groaned. “What have I done? I’ve got to find Lynna. Her father would have…” grimacing, he brushed off the supporting hands on his shoulders. “Let go of me! I have to find her! Do you know what he might have done to her!? Get off me!”

Ervyn fought his way out of the room, and ran down the hallway. A few Elves shook their heads. The hit on the head must have done some damage. Only Ataras was concerned, watching the figure of his friend run unsteadily down the hallway.

After several wrong turns, and many rests in the stairwell (for his head continually throbbed, and occasionally a red flash blinded him with pain), Ervyn found the princess’ chamber.

He rushed into the room without knocking. “Lynna, it is me, Ervyn. Where is your father? Are you alright?” He asked in choppy Human, quite out of breath and holding his aching skull.

A soft voice spoke from the balcony. “He’s gone.”

Ervyn walked out to the princess sitting on the stony ledge. A handkerchief was gripped in her right hand.

Looking closely, Ervyn saw her eyes were puffy and red. A long red welt crossed her left cheek. She sniffled occasionally into her handkerchief.

Ervyn sucked in his breath. “What happened, Lynna?”

“I’m fine. Father’s left, I don’t know where.”

“But Lynna, your face! What did he do to you?”

“He…he hit me. His ring-” She gestured with her hand. A flood of tears followed her statement. “It isn’t so much tha-that he hit me, but that he hates me! I could tell. The way his eyes looked at me. They were like ice. I can’t take it anymore! I’ll go mad!” She shuddered and gasped with her tears and couldn’t continue.

Ervyn held her. Rocking back and forth, he whispered soothingly and her tears slowed.

“Is there anything you need to tell me also?” Lynna seemed to be under control once again, but Ervyn wouldn’t leave her now.

“I-I’m afraid of him,” she whispered, “ever since I was a child. He would get drunk. Or he would ignore us. “I preferred his anger more. At least it appeared he cared for us. But now I see he couldn’t stand us, not after mother died. His heart froze. Now with Megalem gone, he doesn’t even pretend to have any feelings for me.”

Ervyn wanted to tell her she was wrong, that she was overreacting, but he couldn’t. He had heard the way Cestan spoke about his own daughter. There was no love there.

“I am sorry, Lynna. I truly am sorry.”

“And now he wishes me to marry his spy, Kaerf Amardet. This is his way of keeping an eye on me without my staying at the center of politics. And also to spite me. He knows how I abhor Amardet and his fish eyes!”

Ervyn scraped his brain for a solution. There had to be a way to keep Lynna safe from her father, at least while he was still unstable from grief. He needed to think…

“I am going to get some water to clean your face. Just stay here, I will be back soon. Your face is bleeding. I should have cared for the cut earlier.” He frowned. What kind of a man could hurt his daughter like that?

Walking back into Lynna’s chamber, he spied around until he found the water basin. He took his time walking over and wetting a towel. “There must be some way to save her!” he whispered. His father would know what to do, Ervyn felt sure of that.

Ervyn almost dropped the towel. The solution was so obvious! “Lynna,” he cried and ran out of the room, “I know how to save you from your father!”

While he cleaned her wound, Ervyn told her the plan.

“Once I bring you from your father’s reach, you will be safe. I can negotiate. We can do nothing else. Tonight, I want you to pack only things you need. Meet me by the river at midnight.”

Lynna nodded. Pale, but resolved. Ervyn’s plan was the only thing they could do; it couldn’t, mustn’t, go wrong.

<*>

Someone knocked on his door; Ervyn stiffened in the process of packing. “Who is there?” He asked in Human. He stood in front of the bag in a bad effort to conceal it.

The door creaked open. Ataras’ head peered around the opening. His green eyes widened. “What are you doing?” He asked in Elvish.

There was no sense in denying the obvious. “I’m packing.”

“Yes, I see that, but why?”

Ervyn shifted his feet. “Why do you ask?”
“Isn’t it obvious? First you scream at the king and -”

“I didn’t scream.”

“-then you consort with the kings daughter. Some of us are getting worried about you jeopardizing our mission. And then I find you packing. Are you running away?”

The patronizing tone stung. “No!”

“Well some of us feel you are taking unnecessary risks…”

Jaw clenched, Ervyn waved his arm at the room. “Do you want me to tell you what I’m really doing?”

Ataras merely nodded, and sat at the foot of the bed.

“I’m taking the princess away. Her father beat her. She’s not safe here anymore. I’ll hide her in one of the smaller villages.”

“Do you think that is safe?? You are taking her situation too personally, and she is taking advantage of your kindness.”

“She is not taking advantage of me. I put her up to this because I have to. To leave would be…cruel.”

“How do you know she has put a veil over your eyes; are you bewitched? Perhaps she is greedy for two kingdoms. Perhaps Megalem’s death was not an accident. He was an excellent rider; have you asked Lynna what really happened?”

“Get out,” Ervyn said softly.

Ataras looked at him, surprised. “What was that?”

“I said GET OUT!” Ervyn pulled Ataras up by his arms and pushed him at the door. “Never speak ill of Lynna. She is the victim here, not her brother. Get out!”

“You’ve got it bad, haven’t you?”

Ervyn paused in middle of attempting to throw Ataras into the hallway by the seat of his pants. “What?!”

Ataras only laughed mockingly at Ervyn’s suddenly crimson features and strutted out of the room. An angry door slammed behind him.


No comments: