Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Part 1; Chapter 2

Strange to think, the prince would never blink. Never breathe. Never speak. Never wake again. How fragile these humans were. Yesterday, alive. Today, dead.

Strange. And pathetic.

Yet for a moment, as Ervyn gazed down at the cold features of the dead prince, jealousy pricked the inner-most chamber of his heart. His heart which knew it shall never stop. That he would never experience an end.

That he would never die.

Strange how the gods should chose him to live on and on, and allow a prince to die in youth.

The elf hesitated to wake the princess. The dark room, peaceful now the struggle had ended, seemed reluctant to relinquish its dead.

Fortunately, the King reentered the chamber. Giving his sleeping daughter a brief glance, he asked in a low voice, “Any changes?”

“Well.”

“Don’t feel you must spare me, Elf. I watched my wife bleed to death. Seen men lose their minds from the pain as their mutilated limbs were being hewn off. Speak!”

Ervyn broke the news haltingly, for the princess had awoken and sat up, staring. “Sire, your son…is dead.”

Ervyn knew, though he looked away, that the princess wept. King Cestan, ignoring her, stumbled across the room and paused next to the bed, opposite of Ervyn.

“Farewell, my son.” He said, before thrusting the edge of the sheet over Megalem’s lifeless face. Ervyn watched as the king swept past his shocked daughter.

A few moments went by. The princess cried silently in her chair by the door. When she ceased to shake with sobs, Ervyn moved to stand by her.

“Princess? Princess Lynna, it is late; you must leave.”

She blinked, looked up into Ervyn’s face, then at his slim hand resting on her shoulder. Drawing away instantly, Ervyn remarked, “I am sorry about your brother. It is sad for you. I wish I could have helped more.”

“It’s alright; you did your best. I’m-” Lynna sighed. She gave a last sad and hopeless look at the figure on the bed before slipping in the hallway.

Ervyn turned towards the bed. He whispered a blessing in soothing Elvish, and extinguished the candle on the bed-stand.

A bit of moonlight leaked through the clouds and shone through the tiny glass window of the infirmary, landing on the white sheet. Tales of ghosts surfaced in Ervyn’s head. He shivered and left the cold death chamber.

He bumped into something warm in the dark hallway. “Ahh!” He yelled, jumping back.

“I’m so sorry,” a high voice whispered. “I didn’t mean to frighten you. I did not want to walk to my chambers alone and so I waited for you. Please don’t be angry.”

Ervyn could barely see the outline of the princess’s pale face. “I’m not angry. I was not expecting you. That is all. Why are there no lights?”

“We believe when a man dies, the living should not distract his soul with lights so he will rise straight into the heavens and stars.” Princess Lynna explained calmly.

“I understand now. I have never dealt with death before. But come,” he said, changing the subject, “where are your rooms, highness? It is too late. You must sleep. Today was a difficult day.”

“I’ll lead you.” She took his arm. “Please, don’t be formal with me. I couldn’t bear it. Especially tonight and after all you’ve done for us.”

Ervyn frowned in the darkness as they walked through the hallways. Each silent as the night.

They passed a dizzying amount of locked doors and hallways in the blind night before reaching Lynna’s chambers. “Thank you for accompanying me. I am sure you must be weary.”

Ervyn suppressed a yawn. “It is my pleasure. Is there nothing more I can do for you?”

“Not now. Thank you, Ervyn.” She smiled serenely in the bright moonlight spilling through her half opened door. Her black hair dissolved into the blackness like the never-ending darkness between stars. Her tired glinting eyes captured Ervyn’s. He gaped, taken back by her stunning beauty.

“Despite my brother’s faults and cruelties inherited from our father, I loved him dearly. But- I suppose it is for the best.” Lynna sighed and backed into her room.

Ervyn tried to detain her. “Highness… Lynna,” she paused in the doorway, “I am truly sorry. Please, if you need something, come to me. I want so badly to help.”

“Yes, of course. Thank you.”

“Sleep well.”

“Goodnight.” Lynna whispered shutting the door and cutting off the light, leaving a very thoughtful Ervyn to retreat down the black hallway alone.

No comments: